Top Foundations for Darker Skin Tones
The hardest part about finding foundation for dark skin tone is foundation-matching. If we back track 14-15 years ago, we can all remember Supermodel Iman, who started her own cosmetic company for the very same reason. She felt that makeup artists back then had no foundation in their kits to match her darker complexion. Fast forward today, the makeup industry has finally decided to follow her footstep. Companies like L’Oreal, who has over the years added darker shade foundations to their lines, making the search a lot easier for women of darker complexion.
Today it’s only fair to say that the industry has come a far way, we have a vast selection of foundations for the darker skin tone, not just the average beiges and browns but caramels, chocolates and mochas. With each cosmetic company coming out with a new shade every month, I think I was time for me to share some of my favorites.
BLACK OPAL FOUNDATION:
Best feature- This foundation was formulated for women of darker skin tone and has been the top pick for years. The foundation gives you a wide range to select from;
- Foundation Stick (full coverage, for all skin type)
- Crème to Powder (medium coverage, normal to dry skin)
- Perfecting Powder (buildable coverage, for oily skin)
- Even True Liquid Foundation ( moderate to full coverage, all skin type)
- Total Coverage Concealing Foundation (maximum coverage, all skin type)
- True Colour Pore Perfecting Liquid Foundation (light coverage, all skin type)
L’OREAL TRUE MATCH FOUNDATION
Best feature- The L’Oreal True match foundation is suitable for all skin type, it’s non cakey and oil free. Shades are divided into three (3) categories; Warm, Cool and Neutral. Warm tones are for persons with warm under tone, cool tones are for persons with cool undertone and neutrals are for persons who fall in between (sometimes called olives), they are neither cool nor warm.
- Liquid Foundation (medium to full coverage)
- Liquid Pro Matte Infallible ( medium coverage, matte finish) most suitable shades for darker skin tones are Soft Sable and Cocoa
MAC STUDIO FIX FOUNDATION
Best feature- A great way to shine proof your makeup, it’s mattifying and long wearing. You will notice that the foundation has tones like NW and NC.
- C is for cool (yellow-golden olive skin)
- NC is for Neutral Cool (golden beige)
- N is for Neutral (beige skin)
- NW is for Neutral Warm (pink beige undertone)
- W is for warm (pinkish undertone)
BLACK UP COSMETICS
Best feature- Reveals an incomparable, radiant and flawless complexion.
- Mattifying Liquid Foundation (provides a matte effect)
- Full Coverage Cream Foundation (hides the most severe imperfections to create a flawless complexion without caking)
- Cream to Powder Foundation ( Creamy texture transforms into a silky powder with an impeccable matte finish)
- CC Cream Muti-Action (complexion correcting foundation moisturizes, mattifies, targets dark spots and minimizes pore size)
BECCA MATTE FOUNDATION
Best feature-Satisfyingly mattifying without being cakey. Available in 20 shades Top shades for darker skin tone; Golden brown, toasted brown, deep brown chocolate brown, reddish brown and golden bronze.
Other recommendation for dark skin tones
- Milani Cosmetics – http://milanicosmetics.com/Foundation/
- Urban Decay Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Foundation – http://www.urbandecay.com/naked-skin-liquid-makeup-from-urban-decay/334.html
- Covergirl Queen Collection Foundation– http://www.covergirl.com/beauty-products/face-makeup/foundation-makeup
- Makeup Forever Foundation– http://www.makeupforever.com/int/en-int/make-up/face/foundation
- Lacome Teint Visionnaire Foundation– http://www.lancome-usa.com/Teint-Visionnaire/100041,default,pd.html